Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss

Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss

healthy snacksQuestion: Is it wrong to have a snack or two whilst you’re on a diet?

Answer: Of course not!

For some reason or another we have been conditioned to believe that snacking is considered a huge no-no and is to be avoided at all costs when attempting to lose weight.

In actual fact, there is nothing wrong with a light snack here and there, as long as it’s nutritious.

Read on to get your fix of healthy snack ideas.

Often dieters fall into the trap of not eating a substantial enough breakfast in the morning. This quickly leads to hunger and the desire to find something to fill the gap before lunchtime.

Usually that ‘something’ will have a high fat or sugar content and is a quick way to stave away the craving for food.

In fact it’s better to eat a larger portion of a healthy breakfast in order to survive until lunchtime and in doing so, cut out the desire for snacking in between.

That said, there are certainly healthy snacks which can be incorporated into your diet which will still support your regime for weight loss.

But what about those fatty sugary treats we so know and love?

If you have the will power to cut them out completely then great, you’re stronger than the majority of the population, but for the rest of us, think in terms of moderation.

For a good balance always apply the 80/20 rule; 80% of the food you intake should be nutritious and healthy whilst the remaining 20% can be whatever you would like it to be.

Just be mindful that as your goal is to lose weight, you’ll get there much quicker if you can replace the 20% with healthier options.

So let’s take a look at some healthy snack ideas which will allow you to diet gracefully.

Good old fruit & veg
  • Mixed fruit salad
  • Dried fruits such as  raisins, apricots and mangoes either as they are or dipped in honey
  • Oodles of berries
  • Lightly seasoned raw vegetables with a fat-free dip such as hummus or sour cream
Simple savouries
  • Raw unsalted nuts: almonds, pecans, macadamia, walnuts etc.
  • Granola bars
  • Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds
  • Breadsticks, wholegrain pitta and other flat breads with a hummus spread
  • Low-fat tortilla chips and spicy salsa dip
  • Whole-grain rice cakes
  • Low-fat, lightly salted popcorn
  • Olives
Dairy delights
  • Low fat yoghurt
  • Frozen yoghurt
  • Cottage cheese or any other low fat-cheese combined with pineapple
  • Flavoured milk and low fat milkshakes
Delicious drinks
  • 100% unsweetened fruit juices (not fizzy and not made from concentrate)
  • Home-made fruit smoothies
  • Flavoured water
  • Fat-free hot chocolate
  • Tea and coffees – for a healthier beverage try cutting out the sugar and removing the milk/replacing the milk with a low fat option
Sweet treats
  • Dark chocolate – it’s much healthier than the milk variety!
  • Maraschino cherries
  • Sugar-free jelly beans
  • Sugar-free jellies and jams

This list is just the start! Next time you feel the urgent to snack, know that there are plenty of healthy snack options for you to choose from.

Additionally try adding a natural appetite suppressant such as Capsiplex to your healthy eating regime. Such products really can make all the difference, helping you to achieve weight loss just that little bit quicker.

 

photo credits: chirnoaga