Is there anyone left on the planet who hasn‘t heard about Zumba dance workouts? Zumba is more than just another fitness craze, it’s a fun way of expressing yourself and really letting off stream.
It’s accessible to everyone, young and old and there are a number of clubs and classes you can join either at your local gym, or attend independently. If you’re not all that keen on traditional exercise but want to improve your fitness levels and lose weight, then Zumba could be the perfect solution for you.
Carry on reading to find out exactly why you should give Zumba a try and just how easy it is to get started.
What Makes Zumba So Special?
Well firstly the whole essence of Zumba is to have fun. So, as I mentioned above, if doing the traditional gym thing is not for you because it’s too…. well exercise-y, then you’ll Zumba. You just dance like no one is watching and have a really good time letting go. Before you know it an hour has passed and you’re on your way to a fitter, more toned body.
Secondly and most importantly, Zumba is an extremely effective way of losing weight. The number of calories burned during Zumba can be as much as 500 or more for the average person. And that’s just after an hours’ workout!
Zumba Top Tips
OK so we know that Zumba is known for its party atmosphere and for being lots of fun, but joining in with your very first Zumba class can be a little intimidating. Everyone seems to be super co-ordinated, they flow along with the moves like graceful gazelles… whilst you are left feeling clueless, useless and embarrassed by the fact that you clearly have two left feet.
You really want to participate and be as good as everyone else but you’re finding it a struggle. If that sounds like your experience of Zumba, then you are really going to appreciate the following tips.
1) Get a Zumba DVD or Watch a Class:- It’s not cheating, it’s just called pre-class preparation! There are many good Zumba DVD sets available for you to try out.
You’ll learn all the necessary basic moves before you venture onto your real life Zumba class. Alternatively, if you know of a friendly class you would like to join, ask if you can sit in on a session and watch how it’s done. That way you’ll have an awareness of the moves involved and be able to build up your confidence before you start.
2) Call a Friend:- If you’ve followed the steps above and you’re still feeling a little nervous about attending your first Zumba class, why not call upon a friend or work colleague who is currently doing Zumba. As most Zumba enthusiasts enjoy showing off their moves, they should be more than happy to demonstrate a few steps.
You could practice a few moves together and receive tips on how well you’re doing. Once again, great for build up your confidence pre-class.
3) Invest in the Right Shoes:- Since you’ll be moving, pivoting, sliding and spinning a lot with Zumba, you’ll fair better with the right sort of footwear. Zumba dance shoes or dance sneakers will give you an advantage. They are designed to be lightweight with just the right amount of grip in order for you to perform the moves well.
When you’re new to Zumba, it can feel very exposing, but once you’re comfortable with the dance steps you’ll see your self-confidence blossom. Not only are Zumba dance workouts a great way to keep fit, they are a fun way to keep fit too. There is no room for ‘boring’ in the Zumba world; the movements will keep you challenged, motivated and wanting to come back each week for more.
You’ll also fall in love with the Zumba community. The Zumba crowd tend to be party people who really know how to let their hair down and have a great time.
All that remains is whether you feel ready to take up a Zumba dance workout, and start benefiting from one of the most energising ways to lose weight.
You may also be interested in:
- Zumba Wii: Lose Weight and While Having Fun
- How to Choose the Best Workout DVD for Weight Loss
- The Benefits of Exercising: 10 Things to Motivate You to Do it More
- Exercise For Beginners – How to Get Physical For Weight Loss
photo credits: schoeters